Birdie Bread – Customizable Base Recipe
There are many recipes you can find online for a parrot healthy bread. Here is a VERY basic recipe that can be easily adjusted to suit your needs.
Start off with a healthy flour base to include a choice or mix of barley, oat, buckwheat and rice flours. We typically also grind a nutritious pelleted food which can be used for part of the base and we puree fruits and vegetables to be added to the wet mix. We puree the “wet” ingredients so that the mix is uniform with no chunks and the birds get a nutritious helping with each bite. Remember that this basic recipe is very flexible – not all portions are necessary and substitutes can be made with fresh, healthy ingredients.
- 1 cup each of barley, oat, rice, and/or buckwheat flour
- 1 cup bird pellets, crushed or finely chopped
- 1 cup each pureed strawberries, blackberries, blueberries, and raspberries
- 3 overripe bananas
- 1 32 ounce can organic sweet potato or pumpkin or 3-4 baked sweet potatoes (no skins)
- 2 tablespoons of almond butter
- 2 eggs, include the finely crushed egg shells for calcium
- Shaved almonds, crushed nuts and/or unsweetened coconut flakes for topping
Optional Substitutions: Throw in some of our chop mix or some dry cous cous or quinoa. You can substitute the fruits for your bird’s favorite veggies or a mixture of your choice, just puree your choice.
Directions: Combine dry flour and pellet mixture with wet puree mixture. Grease bake ware or cupcake pan with coconut oil and cooked at 350 degrees until thoroughly cooked (will depend on how thick you pour it into the cooking dish) but still moist. Once cooled, the bread is cut into individual portions for the size of your flock and then cool.